Lok Sabha passes school of Planning & Architecture Bill 2014
Lok Sabha has passed School of Planning and Architecture Bill, 2014. It was passed by a voice vote. This bill seeks to convert three Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPA) into centres of excellence and enable them to confer degrees on students.
The bill also proposes to set up a council for the SPAs similar to IITs and NITs to advise the central government on policy matters in the field of architecture and planning.
Its passage will benefit students of SPA Bhopal and Vijayawada who are still awaiting their degrees. In order to confer degrees, an institute has to be made a deemed university by an act of parliament.
About Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPA)
- The Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPAs) are a group of autonomous public institutes of higher education under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- At present, the SPAs lists three institutes located at Bhopal, Delhi and Vijayawada.
- They were established with the objectives of providing quality Architecture and physical planning education.
- The SPAs primarily offer undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and executive education programmes.
- SPA at Delhi was established in 1948. SPA’s at Bhopal and Vijayawada were established in 2008.
Categories: Bills & Acts