M. Karunanidhi re-elected as DMK Chief for 11th time
M. Karunanidhi has been re-elected as the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party’s President for the 11th time. He was elected by the newly constituted general council of party.
Facts about Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party
- It is a state political party in South Indian state of Tamil Nadu and Union Territory (UT) Puducherry.
- It was founded in 1949 in then Madras Presidency by C. N. Annadurai as a breakaway faction from the Dravidar Kazhagam (known as Justice Party till 1944) headed by Periyar.
- It was a former member of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Karunanidhi was elected President of the Party on July 27, 1969 after C.N. Annadurai’s death. Since then he is President of Party.
- This party also holds the distinction of being the first party in India other than the Indian National Congress (INC) to win state-level elections with a clear majority on its own in any state.
Chief Ministers of DMK in Tamil Nadu
- N Annadurai– He was first CM of DMK. He was in office from 1967-69.
- M. Karunanidhi- He was CM on five separate occasions. They are 1969-71, 1971-76, 1989-91, 1996-2001, 2006-11.