Maharashtra tops in Internet Readiness Index: IIRIS report
As per recently released Index of Internet Readiness of Indian States (IIRIS) report, Maharashtra has topped in terms of the overall Internet readiness index.
The report has been compiled and published by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indicus Analytics.
Key highlights of report
- The purpose of the report was to help governments and business to leverage the strength internet penetration and suggest policy measures to be taken for improvements.
- Internet readiness aims to give a more holistic picture of the digital ecosphere that exists in the states apart from giving status how industry-friendly each state is for investment in Information Technology (IT).
- Top 5 states: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, Telengana and Tamil Nadu.
- Among smaller states: Delhi has emerged as the topmost state in terms of Internet readiness index followed by Puducherry and Goa. Chandigarh also has topped in the list.
- North East states: They have not even figured among the smaller states indicating that much more needs to be done in the form of investment and infrastructure development in the region.
About Internet readiness index
It is a composite index measures internet penetration and usage in Indian states by using four indicators (i) mobile and internet infrastructure (ii) status of the IT service sector (iii) e-participation or use of online transactions and services by citizens (iv) e-governance services offered by the states.