Maharashtra tops in Patent filing in India: CGPDTM Report
Maharashtra has topped in Patent filing in India during year 2013-14. While, the Bengaluru was the top city in IPR filing in the country.
It was revealed in recently published annual report of the office of the Controller-General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM).
Top five states are:
- Maharashtra (2892 patents).
- Karnataka (1639 patents). The state has shown 40 per cent rise in IPR fillings in a year.
- Tamil Nadu (1436 patents).
- Delhi (1009 patents).
- Andhra Pradesh (879 patents).
In Bengaluru, various tech companies and institutes had applied for IPR filing making it top city in this domain.
Top companies in Bengaluru are: Samsung R&D Institute (84 patents), Infosys (83 patents), Wipro Ltd (59 patents) and Samsung India Software Operations Pvt. Ltd (66 patents).
Top Institutes in Bengaluru are: Indian Institute of Science (IISc) (32 patents), Siddaganga Institute of Technology (24 patents), Tumakuru and Indian Space Research Organisation (12 patents).
About Controller-General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM)
- Office of the CGPDTM is a subordinate office under the under the aegis of Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. It administers the Indian law of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks.
- It operates in five key administrative sections. They are Patents, Designs, Trademarks, Geographical indications, Patent Information System.