Malayalam poet O N V Kurup passes away
Noted Malayalam poet and lyricist O N V Kurup passed away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 84.
He was popularly known as “ONV”, Ottaplakkal Nambiyadikkal Velu Kurup and had made significant contributions to the Malayalam film music. He was also was part of the progressive movement in Kerala.
About O N V Kurup
- Born on 27 May 1931 in Chavara, Kollam.
- He had started his career as a lecturer in Maharajas College, Ernakulam later he taught at the different colleges.
- His first poem “Munnottu” (Forward) about his patriotic feelings was published in 1946.
- His notable works include Agnishalabhangal (1971), Aksharam (1974), Uppu (1980), Bhoomikkoru Charamageetham (1984), Ujjayini (1994) and Swayamvaram (1995).
- He had served as Chairman of the Kerala Kalamdandalam and also held several top positions in various arts and literary bodies.
- Awards and Honours: He was awarded Kerala and Kendra Sahitya Academy awards.
- In 2007, was awarded country’s highest literary honour, the Jnanpith Award for his overall contributions to the Malayalam literature.
- He was also awarded Padma Shri (1998) and Padma Vibhushan (2011).
Categories: Persons in News