Marathi film ‘Court’ selected as India’s official entry to Oscars
Critically acclaimed Marathi film ‘Court’ has been selected as India’s official entry to the Best Foreign Language category of the 88th Academy Awards 2016 (popularly known as Oscars).
The film was shortlisted from 30 other films by a Film Federation of India (FFI) jury headed by film-maker and director Amol Palekar.
It should be noted that Court is third Marathi film to be shortlisted for India’s official entry to Oscars. Other two films are Shwaas (2004) and Harishchandrachi Factory (2008).
- Court is a courtroom drama film that examines the Indian legal system through the trial of an aging folk singer in a lower court in Mumbai.
- The film is directorial debut of Chaitanya Tamhane who also has written story of the film.
- It has been produced by Vivek Gomber and cast includes Vira Sathidar, Vivek Gomber and Geetanjali Kulkarni etc.
- Awards and Honours: Till date the film has won 18 awards at various film festivals across the world including honours at the Vienna, Antalya, Mumbai and Singapore film festivals.
- The film also has won the Best Feature Film award at the 62nd National Film Awards in 2015.