Mauricio Macri sworn in as President of Argentina
Mauricio Macri of Republican Proposal Party (RPP) has been sworn in as new President of Argentina after taking oath in the Congress.
With this he became Argentina’s first non-Peronist President in 14 years and the third leader elected from outside the “Peronist” movement founded by Juan Peron since the end of the country’s 1976-1983 dictatorship.
Earlier in 2015 Presidential election held in November 2015 Mr Macri had won the election by securing more than 53 per cent votes. He had defeated his rival Daniel Scioli of ruling Peronist Party who secured 47 per cent votes. His victory had ended the 12 years of leftist rule in Argentina.
About Mauricio Macri
- Born on 8 February 1959 in Tandil, Argentina. He is son of Francisco Macri who is one of Argentina’s richest men.
- Prior to entering politics, Mr Macri had a long career in business and holds civil engineer degree.
- In 1995, he was elected as president of Boca Juniors Football Club, one of the most popular football clubs in Argentina.
- He used his success at the club as a springboard for his political career and later was re-elected as President of Club in 1999 and 2003.
- Prior to getting elected as President, he was representing City of Buenos Aires in the lower house of the Argentine congress since 2007.