Ministry of Railways Launches New Improved e-Ticketing System
Now booking rail tickets through the IRCTC website will be faster and smoother than before with the new e-ticketing system developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS). IRCTC has developed and introduced following e-systems:-
1) New e-Ticketing system: This would enable booking of 7200 tickets per minute against 2000 tickets through the current system. Developed at a cost of Rs 180 crore, is capable of accommodating 1.2 lakh concurrent users with booking of e-tickets simultaneously against the earlier capacity of 40,000 concurrent users at a time. The next generation e-ticketing software will eliminate the problems of non-availability of website like user sessions getting terminated.
The new system will enable passengers to easily get information relating to arrivals and departure timings of trains and other information on their mobile phones as CRIS has launched mobile app and desktop app for Windows 8 platform. The app is available free of cost for window 8 phones and the railways is expected launch for android very soon.
2) Spot Your Train: The ‘spot your train’ which provides information such as current position, expected time of arrival and departure at a particular station is the most striking feature of this app. Other key features are ‘train schedule’, ‘train between stations’, ‘information on cancelled, rescheduled and diverted trains’ and ‘live station’.
3) ‘Live Station’ query: Passengers would get the list of trains expected to arrive at or depart from any station in next 2 or 4 hours through ‘Live Station’ query.
4) Go-India smart card: Railways also started an array of IT-enabled initiatives for rail users including Go-India smart card. The card would cut down the transaction time at booking counters as there will not be cash dealing during issuance of tickets.
5) Online Systems e-Demand and e-Diversion: The railways has also introduced online system like e-Demand and e-Diversion for freight service for online booking of wagons and making payment without going to counters.
Categories: Science & Technology