Monsoon Session of Parliament to begin from July 21, 2015
The Monsoon Session of Parliament will begin from 21 July 2015.
The decision to convene Parliament was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs. The committee also has recommended President Pranab Mukherjee to convene the three-week Session from 21st of July.
Session of parliament
- Session of parliament is the period during which the House meets to conduct its business.
- Article 85 of the Constitution empowers President to summon each House of the Parliament as he thinks fit.
- However he can summon the houses at intervals not be more than six month’s gap between the two sessions. Thus, it is mandatory to Parliament meet at least twice a year as per constitution.
By convention Indian Parliament conducts three sessions each year. They are
- Budget session: February to May.
- Monsoon session: July to September.
- Winter session: November to December.
It should be noted that Article 85 also empowers President to prorogue the either house of Parliament and dissolve the Lok Sabha (Lower House of Parliament).