Current Affairs – August, 2016
Latest Current Affairs August, 2016 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of August, 2016 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
The Union Cabinet has apprised the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and CERT-UK.
The MoU was signed between CERT-In and Ministry of Cabinet Office, UK (United Kingdom) represented by CERT-UK, a unit of the Cabinet Office on Cyber Security in May 2016.
- The MoU intends to promote closer cooperation between India and UK for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of security-related incidents.
- It will facilitate both countries to exchange technical information on Cyber-attacks, response to cyber security incidents and find solutions to counter the cyber-attacks.
- They can also exchange information on prevalent cyber security policies and best practices.
- This MoU helps to strengthen cyber space of both countries in terms of capacity building and improving relationship between them.
- Cyber Security was one of the agenda items for discussion during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to UK in November, 2015.
- Earlier CERT-In signed MoUs with similar organizations of seven countries viz. South Korea, Canada, Malaysia, Australia, Singapore, Japan and Uzbekistan.
- Besides, Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has also signed MoU with Cyber Security as one of the areas of cooperation with Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
About Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In)
- CERT-In is nodal government agency that deals with cyber security threats like hacking and phishing in India.
- It is nodal department under the aegis of Union Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Objective: (i) Protect Indian cyberspace and software infrastructure against destructive and hacking activities. (ii) Strengthen security-related defence of the Indian Internet domain. Issue guidelines, vulnerability notes, advisories, and whitepapers regarding to information security practices, prevention,procedures, response and reporting of cyber security incidents.
Month: Current Affairs – August, 2016 Categories: Governance & Politics • Science & Technology
Tags: Cabinet Decisions • CERT-In • CERT-UK • cyber security • India-UK • Science and Technology
Gujarat has become the first state in the country to distribute two crore LED bulbs under the Centre’s UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All) scheme.
The state has reached the milestone in just 96 days and over 42 lakh households have already benefited from the scheme.
- State-run Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under the administration of the Union Power Ministry had distributed about 2 lakh bulbs daily in Gujarat.
- The distribution of 2 crore LED bulbs has led to an annual energy savings of 259 crore kwh, (Kilowatt Hour). It is equivalent to lighting up 5 lakh Indian homes for an entire year.
- Besides energy savings, the state has also gained from daily CO2 emission reduction of 5,000 tonnes.
About UJALA scheme
- The UJALA scheme was launched on 1 May 2015 replacing the “Bachat Lamp Yojana”. It was launched as LED based “Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP).
- It was launched as part of Union Government’s efforts to spread the message of energy efficiency in the country.
- The scheme’s objective is to reduce electricity bills of consumers, contribute to the energy security of India and also help in environment protection.
- Under it, Government has set ambitious target to replace 77 crore incandescent bulbs across the country with LEDs by 2019.
- LED bulbs have a very long life, almost 50 times more than ordinary bulbs, and 8 to 10 times that of CFLs, and therefore provide both energy and cost savings in the medium term.
Month: Current Affairs – August, 2016 Categories: States
Tags: Gujarat • LED • Power sector • UJALA Scheme