Current Affairs – December, 2014
Latest Current Affairs December, 2014 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of December, 2014 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and late educationist Madan Mohan Malviya (posthumously) have been chosen for Bharat Ratna- country’s highest civilian award.
It was announced by the press communique from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Madan Mohan Malviya
- He was born on December 25, 1861 and was an educationist and politician notable for his role in India’s freedom struggle. He was popularly known ‘Mahaman’.
- He is founder of Asia’s largest residential university – Banaras Hindu University.
- Malviya was 4 time President of Indian National Congress. He was president in 1909, 1918, 1932 and 1933.
- He is also remembered for his stellar role in the Independence movement and his espousal of Hindu nationalism.
- He is considered as one of the initial leaders of the right-wing Hindu Mahasabha and died in 1946.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- He was born on 25th December 1924. He is an Indian statesman who was the 11th Prime Minister first for 13 days in 1996 and then from 1998 to 2004. Notably he is the first PM from outside the Congress party to serve a full five-year term.
- He is amongst the founder members of erstwhile Bharatiya Jana Sangh which later became known as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He was parliamentarian for over 4 decades and was elected to the Lok Sabha for 9 times, and 2 to the Rajya Sabha.
- He was also the Minister of External Affairs in the cabinet of Janta Government headed by Morarji Desai i.e. from 1977-79.
- In 2009, he retired from active politics due to health concerns.
- Recently, Union government had announced to observe his birthday as Good Governance Day.
- It is India’s highest civilian award given to citizens for their exceptional work for the advancement of art, literature and science, and public service.
- In December 2011, government had changed the criteria for including sportsperson for this award thus added category for performance of highest order in any field of human endeavour.
- It was instituted in the year 1954.
- The recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister himself to the President. No formal recommendations for this are necessary.
- The recipient receives a Sanad (certificate) signed by the President and a medallion. It does not carry any monetary grant.
- Till date 45 people have been honoured with the Bharat Ratna since its inception (Including Madan Mohan Malviya and A. B. Vajpayee).
- In February 2014, it was awarded to eminent scientist Prof C.N.R. Rao and cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.
Month:Current Affairs – December, 2014 Categories: Awards & Honours • Persons in News
Tags: Banaras Hindu University • Bharatiya Jana Sangh- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) • Madan Mohan Malviya and Atal Bihari Vajpayee awarded Bharat Ratna
Afghanistan and Pakistan have agreed to co-ordinate military operations along their border to stop cross-border attacks by militants.
In this regard, Afghan army Chief General Sher Mohammad Karimi and his Pakistani counterpart General Raheel Sharif met in Islamabad and later announced their plans to co-operate in military operations.
Both generals met in presence US General John Campbell, who heads North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) coalition forces in Afghanistan.
This move of both severely terrorist affected countries comes after Taliban fighters attacked a school in Peshawar on 16th December 2014 killing 141 people, 132 of them children.
- It will help both nations to fight jointly against the growing Taliban attacks. These attacks may even increase in future after the complete withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan.
- Recently, NATO and US forces ceremonially ended their combats operations in Afghanistan. This may result in increase in terrorism in both nations and create insecurity in this region.
- Thus, joint efforts of both nations will help maintain peace and order in this region.
Month:Current Affairs – December, 2014 Categories: International
Tags: Afghanistan • Afghanistan- Pakistan toco-ordinate military operations • Pakistan