Current Affairs – December, 2015
Latest Current Affairs December, 2015 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of December, 2015 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to sign Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) on the Conservation of Migratory Birds of Prey in Africa and Eurasia.
This MoU is also called as the ‘Raptor MoU’ under the Convention on Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS). With signing it, India will become the 54th signatory to the MoU.
About Raptor MoU
- It is an agreement under Article IV paragraph 4 of the Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS) and is not legally binding on signatory parties.
- The MoU seeks willingness of the signatory states for working for conservation of the raptor species and their habitats.
- The Raptors MoU extends its coverage to 76 species of birds of prey out and an action plan has been formulated that envisages the conservation action for Raptor species.
Of the total 76 species of birds that fall in Raptor MoU, 46 species occur in India including vultures, falcons, eagles, owls, hawks, kites, harriers, etc.
Benefits of singing ‘Raptor MoU’
- Help India to gain knowledge in effectively managing the habitats of to 76 species of birds under ambit of it.
- It is also in conformity with the provisions of Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 wherein the birds have been accorded protection in India.
- Concert trans-boundary efforts for conservation of migratory birds through interaction with other signatory countries of the MoU with the CMS.
Convention on Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS)
The CMS (also known as Bonn Convention) under the aegis of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) aims to conserve migratory species throughout their range. India had become a party to the CMS since 1st November 1983. Pakistan and Nepal are the Indian neighbours who are signatories to this MoU.