Current Affairs – February, 2015
Latest Current Affairs February, 2015 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of February, 2015 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Every year February 28 is celebrated as the National Science Day i.e. Rashtriya Vigyan Diwas (राष्ट्रीय विज्ञान दिवस).
In 2015, the theme of the day is “Science for Nation Building”. This year’s theme has been chosen for the purpose of raising public appreciation on scientific issues for the development of nation.
Why National Science Day is celebrated?
- This day marks the epoch-making discovery of Raman Effect by Indian physicist Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman (CV Raman) on February 28, 1928.
- In 1930, for this discovery he was awarded with the Nobel Prize in Physics.
- In 1986, National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) demanded the Union Government to assign February 28 every year as the ‘National Science Day’ for India.
- In 2000, the first National Science Day was celebrated on February 28, 2000.
- In 2013, the American Chemical Society designated the ‘Raman Effect’ as an International Historic Chemical Landmark.
- Theme for the National Science Day 2013 – “Genetically Modified Crops and Food Security”.
- Theme for the National Science Day 2014 – “Fostering Scientific Temper and Energy conservation”.