Current Affairs – January, 2015
Latest Current Affairs January, 2015 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of January, 2015 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Hike Messenger, a home-grown chat application has introduced free voice-calling feature called Hike Calls to its users.
This feature will allow its users to call each other for free, over 2G, 3G and Wi-Fi and across the globe in over 200 countries.
Hike Messenger has introduced this service, after it had acquired free calling application company – Zip Phone earlier in January 2015.
This feature has been launched in beta on Android operating system, which contributes to over 90 percent of Hike’s user base. While, the iOS and Windows versions will be released later.
About Hike Messenger
- It was launched on 12th December 2012 and is a joint venture between Bharti Enterprises and Softbank.
- User base: In August 2014, Hike had hit 35 million users.
Month:Current Affairs – January, 2015 Categories: Business, Economy & Banking
Tags: Bharti Enterprises • Current Affairs 2016 • Hike Messenger • Softbank • Zip Phone
Supreme Court (SC) has directed search engines like Google India, Yahoo and Micrsoft’s Bing to block advertisements on sex determination and strictly comply with the laws.
This ruling was given by SC bench comprising of Justices Dipak Misra and Prafulla C. Pant on public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Dr. Sabu Mathew George in 2008.
PIL had highlighted that the use of Internet and popular search engines to promote sex determination technologies violates laws.
SC directions to search engines
- Withdraw advertisements on sex determination as it violates Section 22 of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act,1994.
- Search engines must upload this order on their policy page and also the page containing terms and conditions of service to serve as a warning for persons intending to put up such advertisements.
- Though sex determination is illegal India, it is still practiced which has a severe effects on male-female ratio.
- As per UN data, India’s child sex ratio has dropped from 964 in 1971 to a low of 918 in 2011.
- While between 2001 and 2011, child sex ratio has declined in more than two-thirds of the districts in the country and this problem is worse in urban areas.
Month:Current Affairs – January, 2015 Categories: Bills & Acts • National
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Google India • Micrsoft’s Bing • Supreme Court (SC) • Yahoo