Current Affairs – January, 2015
Latest Current Affairs January, 2015 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of January, 2015 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
The World Bank has released report Scaling the Heights: Social inclusion and sustainable development on Himachal Pradesh.
It was released by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dhani Ram Shandil in Shimla.
This was first of its kind report prepared by the World Bank for Himachal Pradesh. The report reveals that state has effectively balanced economic growth with social inclusion.
Some facts from report
- Himachal Pradesh has emerged as one of the states with the best human development outcomes in the country.
- The performance in poverty reduction, education, women employment and health sectors was much better as compared to other states in India.
- The state had also taken lead in implementation of various national programmes and had given special emphasis on infrastructural development.
- The state had prepared a plan to mitigate the natural disasters which had been well appreciated by the government of India.
- But female child sex ratio, under-nutrition in children and an ageing population still remain issues of concern in the state.
Month:Current Affairs – January, 2015 Categories: States
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Himachal Pradesh • Scaling the Heights: Social inclusion and sustainable development • World Bank
Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF) founder Subhash Ghisingh has passed away in New Delhi. He was 78.
He had spearheaded the Gorkhaland movement in the 1980s for a separate state for ethnic Gorkha people living in Darjeeling district of West Bengal.
- He was born on 22 June 1936 at Manju Tea Estate in Darjeeling, West Bengal.
- In 1954, he had joined the Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army as a soldier but quit in 1960.
- In 1968, he formed a political organisation called Nilo Jhanda to protect rights of the ethnic Gorkhas. Later, in April 1979, he raised the demand for a separate state for the Nepali-speaking people of the Darjeeling hills.
- In 1980, he had founded GNLF and led the movement, which disrupted the Darjeeling district with massive violence between 1986 and 1988.
- Later in 1988, this issue was resolved and resulted in setting up of the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, a semi-autonomous body.
- He was first chairman of Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council after winning the first council elections and was its chairman from 1988 to 2008.
Month:Current Affairs – January, 2015 Categories: Persons in News • States
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council • Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF) • Gorkhaland movement • Subhash Ghisingh