Current Affairs – June, 2018
Latest Current Affairs June, 2018 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of June, 2018 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
The 4th International Yoga day was celebrated on June 21, 2018 across the world to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga. The theme this year was “Yoga for Peace”. The day’s celebration in India were led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Dehradun, Uttarakhand. He was joined by joined thousands of volunteers, who performed Yoga asanas in the lawns of Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun.
International Yoga Day (IYD)
The idea of celebrating the International Yoga Day was pitched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in September 2014. Later in December 2014, UNGA unanimously (endorsed by record 175 member states) adopted India-led resolution (69/131) to observe 21st June as International Day of Yoga.
This resolution was adopted under agenda of UN’s ‘Global Health and Foreign Policy’. The date 21st June was selected because it represents one of the two solstices and is the longest day in Northern Hemisphere (summer solstice) which has special significance in many parts of the world. The first International Yoga Day (IYD) was celebrated across the world on 21 June 2015.
Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India. The word yoga derives from Sanskrit which means to join or to unite, symbolizing union of body and consciousness. Yoga if it is practiced by all on daily basis in the early morning has numerous health benefits. The benefits of Yoga include increased muscle strength and tone, increased flexibility, improved respiration, energy and vitality. It also helps to maintain balanced metabolism, reduces weight, improves cardio and circulatory health and improves athletic performance. It was inscribed in the representative list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in December 2016.
Following are the key current affairs headlines in newspapers for June 22, 2018
- 4th International Yoga day celebrated on June 21 with “Yoga for Peace” as its theme
- Rajasthan: 1.6 lakh people in Kota set Guinness World Record for ‘largest number of people performing yoga at one place at the same time’
- PM Modi performs yoga at Dehradun, President Kovind marks Yoga day in Paramaribo, Suriname
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar announces to set up a ‘Yog Aayog’ in the state
- HRD Ministry approves setting up an inter-university yoga centre at Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana in Bengaluru
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj meets President of European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker in Brussels
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- BSE Sensex closes at 35,432.39 points (–114.94), NSE Nifty at 10,741.10 (–30.95)
- India increases duties on a slew of farm products, steel and iron imported from the US in retaliatory action against President Donald Trump’s tariff hikes on steel and aluminium
- TRAI announces name, logo design contest for public Wi-Fi networks
- Spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravishankar’s consumer goods venture Sri Sri Tattva launches apparel brand – BYOGI
- World Music Day celebrated on June 21
- US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to keep together immigrant families who have been detained at the border with Mexico
- Veteran Pakistani diplomat and Jamsheed Marker dies in Karachi at 95, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records under the title of “World’s longest-serving ambassador” and also being the “ambassador to more countries than any other person”
- Mushtaq Ahmed Yousufi, celebrated Urdu satirist and humourist, dies in Karachi at 94
- Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, dies at 46 in California
- NASA’s Curiosity rover captures photos of dust storm on Mars
- Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever, to succeed Sunil Bharti Mittal as Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- FIFA World Cup in Russia: Australia-Denmark draw 1-1 in a Group C match in Samara, Spain beat Iran1-0 in Group B match in Sochi
- Badminton player Kidambi Srikanth named Sports Illustrated ‘India’s Sportsperson of the Year’