Current Affairs – June, 2019
Latest Current Affairs June, 2019 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of June, 2019 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Puerto Williams in Chile has become world’s southernmost city after its status upgraded from hamlet to city. It took over the title from Ushuaia in Argentina which was world’s southernmost city till recently.
About Puerto Williams (or Port Williams)
It is a growing hamlet on remote southern tip of South American continent. The Chilean authorities upgraded Puerto Williams to the category of “city” thus making it the world’s southernmost city.
- It is the main settlement, port and naval base on Navarino Island in Chile.
- It faces the Beagle Channel, which is a strait in Tierra del Fuego Archipelago (shared by Chile and Argentina) on South America’s extreme southern tip.
Month: Current Affairs – June, 2019 Categories: Places in News
Tags: Argentina • Beagle Channe • Chile • Navarino Island • South American Continent • Tierra del Fuego Archipelago • Ushuaia • World's Southernmost City
On May 31 every year the World Health Organization (WHO) and its global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD). Theme for year 2019 was ‘tobacco and lung health’.
About World No Tobacco Day
- Objective: The annual campaign seeks to create awareness about harmful and deadly effects of tobacco consumption and second-hand (passive) smoke exposure on human health and also to discourage tobacco consumption in any form.
- Significance: With focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 being on theme “tobacco and lung health”, campaign aims to raise awareness on –
- Negative impact of tobacco on people’s lung health such as from cancer to chronic respiratory disease.
- The fundamental role played by lungs for health and well-being of all people.
Celebration in India
- On the occasion of World No Tobacco Day 2019, Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare organized a national consultation in collaboration with World Health Organization (WHO) on ‘tobacco and lung health’ in New Delhi.
- About Consultation Event: The consultation was aimed to raise awareness about negative impacts of any form of tobacco consumption on lung health and cancer causing micro-elements in it. The theme of event was ‘Don’t Let Tobacco Take Your Breath Away – Choose Health Not Tobacco’
Month: Current Affairs – June, 2019 Categories: Events & Observances
Tags: Chronic Respiratory Disease • Consultation Event • Ministry of Health and Family Welfare • WNTD • World Health Organization (WHO) • World No Tobacco Day • World No Tobacco Day 2019