Current Affairs – March, 2015
Latest Current Affairs March, 2015 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of March, 2015 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Veteran actor and film producer Shashi Kapoor has been named for the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2014. He is the 46th film personality to receive this honour.
About Shashi Kapoor
- He was born as Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor on 18 March 1938 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Shashi Kapoor had started his acting career at the age of four, by acting in the plays directed by his father Prithviraj Kapoor. Since then he has appeared in 160 movies altogether, 12 being in English and the rest in Hindi.
- He is best-known for his performances in Hindi films like ‘Jab Jab Phool Khile’, ‘Deewar’ and ‘Kabhi Kabhie’.
- Apart from acting in movies, he also had worked as a film director, assistant director and film producer.
- Awards- For his contribution to cinema, he has been conferred many awards including
- National Film Award for Best actor for the film New Delhi Times (1986),
- National Film Award Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Muhafiz (1993)
- National Film Award Best Feature Film in Hindi (as Producer) for Junoon in 1979.
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (2010).
- Padma Bhushan (2011).
About Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- India’s highest award in cinema.
- Established in 1969 to commemorate the birth centenary year of father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke.
- The award is conferred annually by the Union Government to person for his lifetime contribution to Indian cinema.
- Award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees and a shawl.
Month:Current Affairs – March, 2015 Categories: Awards • Persons in News
Tags: awards • Bollywood • Current Affairs 2016 • Entertainment
First Prime Minister (PM) of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew passed away on 23 March 2015. He was 91.
Mr. Lee is described as the ‘founding father’ and ‘architect’ of modern Singapore. He is also considered as pioneer for transforming the island country from a small port city into a wealthy global hub after its independence from United Kingdom and separation from Malaysia.
About Lee Kuan Yew
- He was born in Singapore on 16 September 1923 as a British subject.
- Lee Kuan Yew had studied law at Cambridge University and had graduated with double First Class Honours.
- In 1954, Mr. Lee co-founded the People’s Action Party (PAP) and was its first Secretary-General. He had led the party to eight victories from 1959 to 1990.
- He was elected as First Prime Minister of Singapore in 1959. Since then he had served as PM of country for 31 years and had stepped down in 1990. He also had overseen the separation of Singapore from Malaysia in 1965.
- During his regime, Mr. Lee had stressed on combined market-friendly policies with strict controls over the free speech and press.
- Even after stepping down as leader, Mr. Lee was holding a cabinet level post till 2011 and was active in decision making process. He was a member of parliament until his death.
Month:Current Affairs – March, 2015 Categories: International • Persons in News
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Malaysia • Obituary • Singapore