Current Affairs - May, 2019
Latest Current Affairs May, 2019 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of May, 2019 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
The Punjab government has decided to make it mandatory for all online food aggregators to ensure that food supplied by them should compulsorily have hygiene rating as per Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) guidelines.
- Reason: The online food order and door to door delivery mechanism of food supply has created a physical disconnect between consumers and the food maker. Therefore, the onus of ensuring quality of food and that conditions under which food is prepared are hygienic has shifted to the intermediate food delivery mechanism.
- About: Keeping this in mind, Punjab government has issued a direction to all online aggregators that all the online order and supply companies should display hygiene rating of all food business operators registered or affiliated with them.
- Measures: Punjab’s Food and Drug Administration has sensitized companies operational in Punjab including Zomato, Swiggy, Uber Eats and Food Panda on the issue and also directed them to get the hygiene rating done of all the food business operators (FBO’s) registered with them.
- Condition: The terms put forward includes that only those FBO’s who are at higher level of hygiene rating (bearing 3 or more smilies), should be allowed to supply food under the online food orders-delivery mechanism.
About Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- It is an autonomous body established in 2011 under the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It is responsible for protecting and promoting public health via regulations and supervisions of food safety.
- It is headed by a non-executive Chairperson who is appointed by Central Government.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: States
Tags: Food Safety • Food Safety and Standards Authority of India • FSSAI • Online Food Business Operators • Online Food Delivery • Public Health • Punjab • Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) leader Narendra Modi (68) was sworn in as 15th Prime Minister for a second consecutive five-year term.
- Oath: The oath of Office and Secrecy was administered by President Ram Nath Kovind to Narendra Modi and his team of 57 Union council of ministers.
- Ceremony: The oath-taking ceremony was held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi, which was attended by more than 6000 invitees including leaders from Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries and foreign envoys.
- Minister: The portfolios allocation of Union Council of Minister includes 24 Cabinet ministers, 9 Minister of State with Independent charge and 24 Minister of State. One-third of total ministers in Cabinet are first-timers, which includes BJP president Amit Shah and former Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar. The portfolios for new ministers are yet to be announced.
- Background: The election for 17th Lok Sabha was held in seven phases from 11 April to 19 May 2019. Over 90 crore people were eligible to vote and the general election saw a turnout of more than 67% voters which is highest ever recorded and also the highest participation by women voters. The election was held for total 542 seats.
Key Highlights of 17th Lok Sabha Election
- NOTA: The highest NOTA (none of the above) vote share of 5.04% in Lok Sabha election was reported from Gopalganj in Bihar. The Lowest NOTA vote share of 0.17% in Lok Sabha reported from Bidar in Karnataka.
- Youngest Lok Sabha Member: Biju Janta Dal (BJD’s) Chandrani Murmu, who won from Keonjhar in Odisha, became youngest candidate elected in history of Lok Sabha at 25 years, 11 months and 8 days.
- Lowest Margin Victory: Bharatiya Janta Party’s (BJP) Bholanath won Machhlishahr seat in Uttar Pradesh by just 181 votes which is the lowest margin recorded in the Lok Sabha elections.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: Governance & Politics
Tags: 17th Lok Sabha • 2019 Lok Sabha Elections • BIMSTEC • Lok Sabha Results • Oath Ceremony • President Ram Nath Kovind • Prime Minister of India