Current Affairs – October, 2018
Latest Current Affairs October, 2018 with Current Affairs, news summary on current events of National and International importance of October, 2018 for Banking, SSC, CLAT, UPSC, State PCS, IBPS, Railways and other Competitive Examinations.
PDF Compilation of these updates can be downloaded from This Link
Union Defence Ministry has signed contract worth Rs 2,435.15 crore with public sector Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata for manufacturing of four survey vessels aimed at boosting to capabilities of Indian Navy. The project completion time is 54 months from date of signing contract. The first ship will be delivered within 36 months and remaining within interval of six months for each vessel.
- These survey vessels will 110 metre long with deep displacement capacity of 3,300 tonnes and complement of 231.
- They will be equipped with highly advanced state-of-the-art hydrographic equipment and sensors including Hello Hanger to accommodate one advanced light helicopter.
- The design and construction of these vessels will be as per Classification Society Rules and Naval Ship Regulations and also conform to latest MARPOL (Marine Pollution) Standards of International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- These vessels will be used for full-scale coastal and deep-water hydrographic survey of ports and harbours, approaches and determination of navigational channels and routes.
- They will be also used to undertake surveys of maritime limits up to Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and extended continental shelf. They will be deployed for collection of oceanographic and geophysical data for defence applications.
- In their secondary role, they will also perform limited search and rescue, ocean research and operate as hospital ship and casualty holding ships.
Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE)
- It is defence PSU and one of India’s leading state-owned shipyards, located in Kolkata, West Bengal. It builds and repairs commercial and naval vessels. It also has started building export ships.
- It was founded in 1884 as small privately owned company on eastern bank of Hooghly River. It was renamed as Garden Reach Workshop in 1916. It was nationalised by Government in 1960.
- It has Miniratna status. It is first Indian shipyard to build 100 warships. It is currently handling major project to make three Stealth Frigates for Indian Navy under P17A Project.
- 100 warships built by GRSE so far range from advanced frigates to anti-submarine warfare corvettes to fleet tankers, fast attack crafts, etc.
Month: Current Affairs – October, 2018 Categories: Defence & Security
Tags: Defence • Defence Ministry • GRSE • Indian Navy • Survey Vessels
Odisha Government has launched an automatic public address system to warn citizens about cyclone and tsunami, floods.
- This is the first of its kind technology in field of Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) in India.
- The EWDS of Odisha government has been implemented under the assistance of World Bank with a cost of around 82 crores.
- Around 122 towers have been installed along the 480 km long coastline of the odisha state to produce sound and sirens during emergency situations.
- Sound producing from the towers can be heard in communities within a radius of 1.5 km.
- The button will be pressed from the state emergency centre in Bhubaneswar during an emergency situation.
- Six coastal districts named Balasore, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Puri and Ganjam have been covered under the system.
- It’s a part of the last-mile connectivity programme under the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project an aimed at protecting people from the cyclone effects.
- The system will prove to be boon for the fisherman of the state.
Odisha and disasters
Odisha is vulnerable to many disasters. The state is prone to tropical cyclones, Storm surges and tsunamis. A large part of the state comes under Earthquake Risk Zone-II. The super-cyclone of 1999 which claimed 10,000 lives in Odisha. In 2013.Cyclone Phailin hit the Indian coasts. Cyclone Hudhud hit Odisha in 2014.Recently cyclone Titli hit odisha coast in 2018.
Disaster preparedness of Odisha
- The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) was established in 1999.OSDMA was the first disaster management authority centre established in India.
- Odisha has active State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA).
- Odisha, has built close to 800 multipurpose cyclone and flood shelters in cyclone prone areas.
- All vulnerable regions in Odisha have active Cyclone Management Centres.
- Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) is a well known name in cyclone hit areas.
The continuous focus on developing manpower, skill, and infrastructure, state of Odisha has emerged as one of the most disaster-ready states in the world today
Month: Current Affairs – October, 2018 Categories: States
Tags: Disaster Management • Early Warning Dissemination System • EWDS • Odisha • Odisha Coastal Disaster Alert System • Odisha State Disaster Management Authority