MoU signed between Union Ministry of Rural Development and Digital Green
The Union Ministry of Rural Development signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Digital Green (Microsoft Research Project) to document best agricultural practices and disseminates this to all rural agricultural households headed by women.
This initiative will be kick-started through self-help groups working with women farmers engaged in traditional agriculture, non-timber forest produce and livestock projects.
Purpose: To exchange the relevant livelihood practices among rural communities under the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM).
Its innovative ICT-based approach focuses on low-cost and effective, peer-to-peer learning processes which seek to empower poor households for increasing productivity and incomes sustainably. It builds on and strengthens the existing extension systems of public, private, and civil society organizations to be more effective and efficient.
About Digital Green
- An international, non-profit development organization, supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation and Government of India.
- Mission: to integrate innovative technology with global development efforts to improve human well being.
- Objective: To provide strategic direction, management, and coordination of the development, successful implementation, and monitoring of Digital Green’s livelihood-related activities.
- Focus on: Training farmers to make and show short videos where they record their problems, share solutions and highlight success stories.
- Builds on the existing extension systems of public, private, and civil society organizations and strengthens them to be more effective and efficient.
- Uses an innovative digital platform for community engagement to improve livelihoods of rural communities across South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017