Ms Sushma Singh will be the next Chief Information Commissioner of India
The senior most Information Commissioner Ms Sushma Singh will be the next Chief Information Commissioner of India (CIC), she will succeed Ms Deepak Sandhu. The decision to appoint Sushma Singh, a former IAS officer, as the next CIC was taken unanimously by a panel consisting of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and Law Minister Kapil Sibal. She will be the second woman to become CIC after Ms Deepak Sandhu whose term comes to an end later this month.
- Former Secretary to the Government of India
- She joined the IAS in 1972, Jharkhand cadre
- Offices held earlier: Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Panchayati Raj and also in the Ministry for the Development of the North Eastern Region (DONER).
Central Information Commission
The RTI act 2005 provides for establishment of Central and State information commissioner as a designated authority to receive and inquire into a complaint from any person.
- 26 October 2005: Mr. Wajahat Habibullah became India’s first Chief Information Commissioner.
- Under the CIC, the Chief Information Commissioner enjoys complete financial and administrative powers of a Department of the Government of India except in matters relating to the creation of posts, re-appropriation and writing-off losses for which it needs the specific concurrence of the Ministry of Finance.
- The Chief Information Commissioner and Information Commissioners shall be appointed by the President on the recommendation of a committee comprising — Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha; a Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
- According to the RTI Act 2005, Chief Information Commissioner / Information Commissioner shall hold office for a term of 5 years or till he attains the age of 65 years.
- The Chief Information Commissioner shall not be eligible for reappointment.
- The general superintendence, direction and management of the affairs of the Commission are vested in the Chief Information Commissioner, who is assisted by the Information Commissioners.
Categories: Persons in News 2017