Muhammadu Buhari elected as President of Nigeria
Former military ruler Genral Muhammadu Buhari won the Presidential election in Nigeria. He defeated incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan by more than two million votes.
With this historic win, Buhari became the first opposition candidate in history of Nigeria to win a presidential election.
In this election Buhari’s All Progressives Congress (APC) party has received around 15,424,921 votes and Jonathan’s People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has recieved 12,853,162 votes.
About Muhammadu Buhari
- He is native of Daura in Katsina State of Nigeria and belongs to Fulani ethnic background.
- Buhari was military ruler of Nigeria from 1984 to 1985 and had taken power by a military coup.
- He had served in Nigerian Army from 1961 to 1985 and had retired as a Major General.
- Gen Buhari’s victory in this presidential election is considered as historic moment in Nigeria’s turbulent history. For the first time sitting president was defeated in an election.
- Since independence from Britain in 1960, Nigeria had faced numerous military coups and most of the elections were rigged in the past.
- 2015 Presidential election is considered as important in Nigeria because it was conducted fairly indicating roots of democracy, deepening in Nigeria.