Narasimhan Ravi elected as new President of the ‘Editors Guild of India’
Narasimhan Ravi has been unanimously elected as the president of Editors Guild of India. Mr. Ravi is the director of Kasturi and Sons Limited , publisher of “The Hindu” newspaper. Narasimhan Ravi will succeed T N Ninan, Chairman and Editorial Director of ” Business Standard”. Mr. Ravi has been elected President of the Editors Guild of India for a tenure of 2 years.
Editors Guild of India:
- An organization of editors of news papers and magazines in India.
- Established in 1977 just after the Emergency.
- Only professional organization representing editors across India.
- Consists of more than 200 members from national, regional and local newspapers, magazines and electronic media.
Objectives of Editors Guild of India:
- Preserving the freedom of the Press and other mass media
- Striving for betterment of professional standards
- Safeguarding editorial independence
- Taking suitable steps to carry out and further these aims and objects.
- The Guild also publishes the Code of Practice for Journalists
The body (Editors Guild of India) has been at the cutting edge of the cause against laws and executive action which seeks to check the press freedom and suppress the press, and it has productively agitated against passing of black laws like the Defamation Bill, POTA against journalists, Broadcast Regulatory Authority, etc.
Categories: Persons in News