Nasim Zaidi appointed as Chief Election Commissioner
President Pranab Mukherjee on 9 April 2015 appointed the senior most Election Commissioner (EC), Dr. Nasim Zaidi as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC).
He will succeed incumbent CEC HS Brahma, who retires on 19 April 2015 after attaining age 65. Dr Zaidi will have tenure of two years i.e. till he attains the age of 65 in July 2017.
About Dr. Nasim Zaidi
- Nasim Zaidi is 1976 batch IAS officer from the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- He had served as the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- He had retired from IAS as Secretary to the Union Government in Ministry of Civil Aviation in July 2012.
About Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
- As per the provisions of Article 324 of Constitution, Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners are appointed by the President.
- They hold office for the term of 6 years or until they attain age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from office only through impeachment by Parliament.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017