National Institute of Design at Bhopal and Jorhat Inaugurated
The National Institute of Design has been inaugurated at Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh and Jorhat in Assam. The Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the Institutions.
Establishment of National Institute of Design
- Design and innovation have taken prime importance in many sectors, policies, and schemes of the government like “Make in India”, “Skill India”, “Digital India”, “Startup India”, and “Smart City initiatives”. Hence it is imperative to promote design education.
- National Design Policy 2007 had recommended setting up design institutes on the lines of NID, Ahmedabad in other parts of India to promote design programs. Hence National Institute of Design is being established Andhra Pradesh (Amaravati), Assam (Jorhat), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal) and Haryana (Kurukshetra).
- NIDs in different regions of the country will help produce highly skilled manpower in design which, in turn, will create job opportunities, both direct and indirect, by providing sustainable design interventions for crafts, handloom, rural technology, small, medium and large-scale enterprises and outreach programs for capacity, capability and institution building.
- NIDs will fulfil the requirement of designers in the country and expose them to employment opportunities, which will lead the country towards higher socio-economic growth.
National Institute of Design
- The National Institute of Design was established based on the recommendations of the Eames Report. It was established as an autonomous all-India body in September 1961 at Ahmedabad in association with the Ford Foundation and the Sarabhai family.
- Over the years, the National Institute of Design has emerged as an internationally finest educational and research institutions for Industrial, Communication, Textile and IT Integrated (Experiential) Design. It works as an autonomous institution under the aegis of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The National Institute of Design has been declared ‘Institution of National Importance’ by the Act of Parliament, by virtue of the National Institute of Design Act 2014.
The National Design Institution at Bhopal and Jorhat will provide 4-year undergraduate courses in industrial design, communication design and apparel & textile design.
Categories: Places in News