National programme for organic production
The Ministry of Industries and Commerce had initiated the National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP) to assist the organic producers to tap the market which is growing steadily in the both in domestic and export segments.
Objectives of the National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP)
The Ministry of Industries and Commerce is implementing the NPOP since 2001 with the following objectives:
- To provide the means of evaluation of certification programme for organic agriculture and products as per the approved criteria.
- To accredit certification programmes of Certification Bodies seeking accreditation.
- To facilitate the certification of organic products in conformity with the prescribed standards.
- To facilitate certification of organic products in conformity with the importing countries organic standards as per equivalence agreement between the two countries or as per importing country requirements.
- To encourage the development of organic farming and organic processing.
The Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) is the implementation agency for the NPOP. APEDA is providing assistance to the exporters of organic products under various components of its export promotion scheme.
Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
The APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December 1985. APEDA replaced the Processed Food Export Promotion Council (PFEPC). APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of promotion and development of the export of agricultural and its allied products.
Categories: Government Schemes & Projects