National Seminar on Greenery and Landscaping
A National Seminar on “Greenery and Landscaping” was organized by the Central Public Works Department (CPWD). The seminar focused on Green Urban Areas. The recommendations made at the conference are:
- Green Urban Areas play an important role in the social and natural sustainability and improve quality of life.
- Greenery and Dense plantation have a major impact on the conservation of energy and reduce the energy requirement of the building.
- In order to maintain a sustainable environment, pollution free clean air, it is essential to take up the plantation work.
- Cost of land has increased manifold and high rise buildings are coming up, people are getting hardly any area for the greenery. Keeping in view the same, plantation, greenery and other environment-friendly applications should be planned around the building by way of dwarf trees, small shrubs, ground covers, hanging baskets, creepers, etc.
- There is a need to adopt wood alternative in building construction. Use of alternate materials like Bamboo needs to be encouraged.
- Orientation and proper training should be imparted to the persons engaged in landscaping and Horticulture, for implementation of the new technologies in this field to save the labour and cost of the project in the long run.
- Emphasis should be given for conserving and transplanting indigenous and grown-up trees.
- Herbal and medicinal plants need to be encouraged. Herbal plants are useful for keeping life healthy.
- Application of Organic Manure needs to be adopted for healthy and nutritious food.
- Water conserving irrigation method like drip irrigation, Sprinkler irrigation and pop up system needs to be adopted.
- Plants and greenery help in reducing the adverse effects of climate change. Therefore every individual should adopt minimum one tree.
- Green initiative needs to be taken up on a mission mode by every nation, every city, every society and every individual so that future generations may lead a happy and healthy life.
Urban Green Areas
Urban Green Areas refer to green spaces such as parks and sports fields as well as woods and natural meadows, wetlands or other ecosystems, represent a fundamental component of any urban ecosystem.