Naval detachment set up at Lakshadweep’s Androth Island
The Southern Command of the Indian Navy has inaugurated a naval detachment at Androth Island of the Lakshadweep archipelago.
The naval detachment seeks to strengthen maritime security in and around Arabian Sea and enhance surveillance of crucial shipping lanes.
- The facility will function as an observance and reporting organisation.
- It will provide connectivity with mainland.
- Enable sea lanes of communication (SLOC) monitoring.
- It will also facilitate radar surveillance.
- Enhance the Navy’s reach and contribute significantly to strengthen maritime security.
Lakshadweep archipelago comprising of Kavaratti, Minicoy, Agatti and Androth islands occupy a strategic location in the Arabian Sea. A number of shipping lanes pass close to these islands as they provide the sea link between Asia and Europe.