NDMA’s 13th Formation Day observed
The 13th Formation Day of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) was celebrated across the country. The theme of this year’s Formation Day was School Safety.
On this occasion, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh released National Disaster Management Guidelines on School Safety Policy with an aim to strengthen the risk resilience of schools across the country. Moreover, National Disaster Management Guidelines on Boat Safety and Cultural Heritage Sites & Precincts, and a study report on Chennai Floods of 2015 were also released.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
The NDMA is apex statutory body for disaster management in India under aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). Its provisions are envisaged in Disaster Management Act, 2005 and was established in 2009. It is headed by the Prime Minister of India.
Mandate: Its primary purpose is to coordinate response to natural or man-made disasters and for capacity-building in disaster resiliency and crisis response. It is also apex body to lay down policies, plans and guidelines for Disaster Management to ensure timely and effective response to disasters..
Functions and Responsibilities of NDMA
- Approve the National Disaster Plan.
- Lay down policies on disaster management.
- Approve plans prepared by Ministries or Departments of Central Government in accordance with National Plan.
- Lay down guidelines to be followed by State Authorities in drawing up State Plan.
- Lay down guidelines to be followed by different Ministries or Departments of Central Government for purpose of integrating measures for disaster prevention or mitigation of its effects in their development plans and projects.
- Coordinate enforcement and implementation of disaster management policy and plan.
- Recommend provision of funds for the purpose of mitigation.
- Provide such support to other countries affected by major disasters as determined by Central Government;
- Take such other measures for prevention of disaster or mitigation or preparedness and capacity building for dealing with threatening disaster situation or disaster as it may consider necessary
- Lay down broad policies and guidelines for the functioning of National Institute of Disaster Management.