Nepal to host 4th BIMSTEC Summit 2017
The fourth edition of BIMSTEC Summit-2017 will be held in Nepal. It was announced in the 17th session of BIMSTEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) held in Kathmandu, capital Nepal.
In this meeting, delegates of seven member countries reviewed the progress made by BIMSTEC and recommended future course of action to strengthen regional cooperation among the group.
The importance of BIMSTEC was highlighted during the BRICS-BIMSTEC Outreach Summit held at Goa in October 2016. In this summit, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had expressed his desire to promote BIMSTEC and assured full cooperation it needs to move on.
About BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative on Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation)
- The BIMSTEC is the sub-regional group of seven countries in South Asia and South East Asia lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity.
- They are India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka from South Asia and Myanmar, Thailand from South East Asia.
- Established: 6 June 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration.
- Headquarters: Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Objectives: Technological and economical cooperation among south Asian and south East Asian countries along the coast of the Bay of Bengal.
- It also covers cooperation in commerce, technology, investment, agriculture, tourism, human resource development, fisheries, transport and communication, textiles, leather etc.
Categories: International Current Affairs