NITI Aayog launches India Energy Security Scenarios 2047
National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has launched the second version of an open source web based tool India Energy Security Scenarios 2047 calculator (IESS 2047).
The tool was launched by the NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya at a function held at the Federation House in New Delhi.
- IESS 2047 tool aims to explore wide range of potential future energy scenarios for India including for its diverse energy supply and demand sectors leading up to 2047.
- The second version will play pivotal role in making more comprehensive policy discourse on India’s future energy security.
- It will help to explores India’s possible energy scenarios across energy supply sectors such as solar, bio fuels, wind, oil, gas, coal and nuclear.
- It will also explore energy scenarios on energy demand sectors such as transport, agriculture, industry, cooking and lighting appliances.
- The web based model allows users to make energy choices and explore a range of outcomes from carbon dioxide emissions and import dependence.
- In this project, United Kingdom’s Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) is the initiative partner with NITI Aayog.
About of IESS tool
- IESS tool seeks to engage various stakeholders in the country’s energy planning and facilitate well informed debates on energy policy at different levels.
- It has been developed in consultation with multiple stakeholders, such as industry bodies, research organizations and think tanks.
- It should be noted that, the first version of IESS 2047 calculator already has been playing an instrumental role in shaping India’s energy policy.
- Presently, more than 20 countries including China, Bangladesh and South Africa have developed their own climate/ energy calculators.
Categories: Government Schemes & Projects