NITI Aayog rolls out Performance on Health Outcomes index
The NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayoga along with Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has rolled out Performance on Health Outcomes index to rank States on the basis of their performance on measurable health indicators.
The index was developed with inputs from domestic and international experts, including academicians and development partners as well as feedback from States.
Key features of the index
- Capture the annual incremental improvements of the states, rather than focusing on historical achievements.
- Includes indicators in the domains of health outcomes governance and information and a few key inputs and processes.
- Envisioned to bring about the much required improvements in social sector outcomes, which have not so far kept pace with the economic growth of the country.
- Mainly will be used to propel actions of states to improve health outcomes and improve data collection systems.
- Includes monitorable indicators that form part of Sustainable Development Goal in Health.
- Serve as an input for providing performance-based incentives, assist in State-level monitoring of performance and improvement in health outcomes.
- Involves the participation of several partners including technical assistance from the World Bank, mentor agencies to hand-hold states and third party organisations to validate the data submitted prior to calculation of the index.