Noted Gandhian Narayan Desai passes away
Noted Gandhian Narayan Desai on 15 March 2015 passed away in Surat, Gujarat. He was 90.
He is son of Mahatma Gandhi’s personal secretary and biographer Mahadev Desai.
About Narayan Desai
- He was born on 24 December 1924 at Valsad in Gujarat and was brought up at Gandhiji’s Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
- Desai was also associated with Vinoba Bhave’s Bhoodan (or land gift) Movement and Jayprakash Narayan’s Total revolution or JP’s Movement.
- He was famous for reciting Gandhi-Katha i.e. narratives on Mahatma Gandhi’s life across the world which was started by him in 2004.
- Desai was Chancellor of Gujarat Vidyapith from 2007 to 2014.
Awards- Narayan Desai was accorded with many awards. It includes
- Sahitya Akademi Award (1993) for his book on biography of his father Mahadev Desai in Gujarati.
- UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize (1998).
- Jamnalal Bajaj Award (1999).
- Ranjitram Suwarna Chandrak (2001), highest award for Gujarati literature.
- Moortidevi Award (2004).
Categories: Persons in News 2017