Noted Indian hockey player Mohammed Shahid passes away
Noted Indian hockey player Mohammed Shahid passed away due to multiple organ failure in Gurugram, Haryana. He was 56.
Mohammed Shahid was a member of the V Baskaran-led Indian team that won a Gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
About Mohammed Shahid
- He was born on April 14, 1960, Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- He had made his first appearance for India at international level in the junior team in 1979 at the Junior World Cup held in France.
- He was considered one of India’s greatest hockey players. He was known for his dribbling skills.
- He was also a member of the Indian hockey team that had won silver medal at the 1982 Asian Games and bronze medal at the 1986 Asian Games.
- His biggest contribution to the game of Hockey was the ‘half push- half hit’. It was a stroke he used to hit the ball using the same grip used to dribble the ball.
- Awards and Honours: Arjuna Award (1981) and Padma Shri (1986).