November 26 to be observed as Constitution Day
India will observe 26 November as Constitution Day (Samvidhan Divas) to spread awareness of Indian Constitution and its architecture Dr B R Ambedkar.
- Significance of Day: On 26 November 1949, Indian constitution was adopted by the 389 member Constituent Assembly (CA) and it came into force on 26 January, 1950.
It was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi after laying the foundation stone of Dr Ambedkar Memorial at Indu Mills Compound in the heart of Mumbai city.
Features of Dr Ambedkar Memorial
- The life and works of Dr. Ambedkar will be displayed at the memorial.
- It will feature a 150 feet tall statue of Dr. Ambedkar and 140 feet high dome stupa.
- It will have a research centre, library and museum, auditorium, park, ponds and plaza.
- It will also have meditation centre which can accommodate 13,000 people at a time.
Dr Ambedkar Memorial project at Indu Mill will be part of five landmarks associated with the life of the architect of Constitution. These five landmarks (holy places) have been dubbed as Panch teerths (quintet pilgrimage). They are located in Mhow in Madhya Pradesh, Alipur House in Delhi, Indu Mill memorial, Dr Ambedkar’s residence in Mumbai and house in London.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017