UN to observe 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar
For the first time, United Nations (UN) will observe the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, father of the Indian Constitution on April 13, 2016, a day before his date of birth.
The main focus of this observance will be on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The 125th birth anniversary Dr. Ambedkar will be commemorated at the UN headquarters in New York by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN, in association with the Kalpana Saroj Foundation and Foundation For Human Horizon.
On the occasion
- A panel discussion will be organised on the topic “Combating inequalities for the achievement of SDGs”.
- It prime objective will be of raising awareness of the importance of addressing all forms of inequality for achieving the SDGs.
- United Nations Development Group Chair and Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme Helen Clark will deliver the keynote speech.
- The landmark 2030 Agenda for SDG recognises that combating inequality within and among countries, creating sustained, inclusive and sustainable growth and fostering inclusion are interdependent.
- The vision of Dr. Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution, to achieve social justice and equality also finds resonance in the core message of the 2030 Agenda.