Odisha Cabinet approves Fisheries Policy 2015
Odisha state cabinet approved ‘Fisheries Policy, 2015’, with an objective to increase the productivity and production of fish from island, marine and brackishwater resources.
As per the Odisha Fisheries Policy:
- The state government has set targets 7.15 lakh tonne of total fish production by the end of 2019-20 from present level of 4.13 lakh tonnes.
- Inland fish production target has set to 5.30 lakh tonnes from 2.63 lakh tonnes for the next five years.
- The freshwater fish productivity is aimed to be increased to 3.5 tonnes per hectare from 2.13 tonnes per hectare through extensive farming practices.
- State government to develop 15,000 hectares of new ponds and tanks for freshwater aquaculture in 30 districts by 2020.
- State expects the Fisheries Policy will create an additional direct employment for 60,000 persons.
Fisheries Sector of India:
India stands second in world in fish production after China and shares 5.43 percent of global fish market.
In India fisheries constitute about 1 per cent of its GDP and 4.75 per cent of agriculture GDP.
The total fish production during 2013-14 was 9.58 MT.
Top five states in fish production are 1) Andhra Pradesh 2) West Bengal 3) Gujarat 4) Kerala 5) Tamil Nadu.
Categories: Business, Economy & Banking