OP Singh appointed as DG of CISF
Senior IPS officer OP Singh was appointed as Directors General of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
He is 1983-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre. Prior to this appointment he was working as Director General of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
About Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
- The CISF is a central armed police force under the aegis of Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- It was initially established under the Central Industrial Security Force Act, 1968 to protect major PSUs.
- However, it was converted to an armed force with a larger ambit under an amendment to the Act in 1983.
- Now, CISF provides security to industrial ventures and establishments, VIPs and engages in disaster management amongst others.
- It also has a Fire Wing to response to fire emergencies/accidents. With a force larger than 1,65,000 it is the largest security force in the world.