The USA’s House of Representatives (lower house of US) Speaker Nancy Pelosi was honoured with 2019 John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.
- About Pelosi: She has served in House of Representatives since 1987. She was recognized for putting national interest above her party’s interest, for her efforts to pass former President Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law (Obama Care) and also for helping Democrats reclaim control of U.S. House during 2018 elections.
- The award was presented at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston.
- Previous Honorees: former Presidents Barack Obama, Gerald Ford and prominent lawmakers Rep. John Lewis and late Sen. John McCain.
About John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award
- It is an annual award that was created in 1989 by members of President J.F. Kennedy’s family. It seeks to honor J.F. Kennedy and to recognize and celebrate quality of political courage which he admired most.
- The award recognizes a public official (or officials) at local, federal or state level whose actions speaks of qualities of politically courageous leadership. It is given in spirit of ‘Profiles in Courage’, which was President Kennedy’s 1957 Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
Note: John F Kennedy was the 35th president of United States. His served from January 1961 till his assassination in November 1963.
Month:Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: Awards
Tags: Barack Obama • Gerald Ford • JFK Profile in Courage Award 2019 • John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award • Nancy Pelosi • Profiles in Courage • Pulitzer Prize • United States
The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has reduced the prices of 9 non-scheduled cancer drugs by up to 87%. This decision is in continuation of nodal agency’s efforts to bring down drugs prices.
- Reason: In February 2019, the government had capped about 42 cancer drugs at 30%. This new anti-cancer non-scheduled medicine list is in continuation of efforts to curb profiteering on these vital drugs and to make cure of cancer affordable for patients as well as for their families.
- Significance: More than 390 brands and about 72 formulations have reduced costs following the NPPA order. This price reduction is expected to benefit more than 22 lakh cancer patients in India and will result in annual savings of around Rs.800 crore rupees to patients.
- Details: NPPA, the Drug pricing regulator issued an office memorandum which mentioned that:
- Maximum Retail Price (MRP) of 500 mg chemotherapy injection called ‘pemetrexed’ which is used to treat lung cancer, has been reduced from Rs.22000 to Rs.2800.
- MRP of 150 mg ‘Erlotinib’ tablets will now cost Rs.2400 instead of Rs.8800.
- NPPA has also approved a formula which restricts trade margin of selling price by up to 30%.
- It was established by a Government of India Resolution in 1997. It is an office attached to Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- Function: It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs. Ito ensures accessibility and availability of medicines to people at affordable prices.
- The NPPA currently fixes price of drugs on National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) under schedule-I of Drug Price Control Orders (DPCO). Till date about 1,000 drugs have been price-capped by this mode.
Month:Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: National
Tags: Anti-cancer drugs • Cancer Drugs • Department of Pharmaceuticals • Drug Price Control Orders • Drug Pricing • Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers • National List of Essential Medicines • National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority • NLEM • NPPA