The Union Government unveiled a new Aadhaar-enabled service delivery system that will provide a reliable mechanism of direct cash transfer to beneficiaries in a transparent manner.
- To eliminate fraud, black-marketing, pilferage in schemes and bribery in the delivery of government services.
What is Aadhaar?
- A 12-digit unique number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Provided to all citizens of India.
- The number will be stored in a centralized database and linked to the basic demographics and biometric information – photograph, ten fingerprints and iris – of each individual.
- Easily verifiable in an online way.
What is the aim of Aadhaar?
- To eliminate the large number of duplicate and fake identities in government and private databases.
- The random number generated will be devoid of any classification based on caste, creed, religion and geography.
- Several benefits of social sector schemes Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act’s (MNREGA) wages and pensions and scholarships like will be provided directly to its respective beneficiaries through this number.