Maharashtra Governor V. Rao has promulgated an ordinance to provide reservation benefits in admissions to Social and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBCs) in medical education in state.
Key Points of Ordinance
- Reason: In May 2019 the Nagpur bench of Bombay High Court has put a stay on the 16% quota offered by state to its Maratha community under SEBC category for admission in 2019’s postgraduate medical courses. The HC ruled that implementation of this reservation for Maratha community under SEBC quota was “unconstitutional” and thus will not be applicable to post-graduate medical admission process which had already begun. This cancelled admissions already given to students under Maratha quota and necessitated fresh admissions.
- Thus the Maharashtra State Reservation for SEBC Amendment and Validation Ordinance, 2019, makes way for 16% reservation for students from Maratha community in current academic year itself. It provides reservation of seats for admission in educational institutions of state and appointments in public posts and services under state.
- The ordinance promulgated thus upholds admissions given to students under Maratha quota under SEBC category in postgraduate medical and dental courses.
- Courses: The reservation to students will be provided in admissions in field of medical education which includes medical and dental under-graduate and post graduate courses under SEBC category.
- Covers: The ordinance will provide reservations in favour of candidates belonging to SEBC classes for courses commencing from educational year 2019-20. It will also be applicable for admissions to other educational courses including under-graduate courses requiring passing of NEET or any other National Entrance Test.
- Article 213: The Governor of an Indian state draws ordinance making power from Article 213 of Indian Constitution. This article empowers governor to promulgate ordinance on an urgent matter and such ordinance shall have same force and effect as an Act of Legislature of the State.
Month:Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: States
Tags: Article 213 • Bombay High Court • Indian Constitution • Maharashtra Governor • Maharashtra State Reservation for SEBC Amendment and Validation Ordinance 2019 • Maratha Quota • Medical Admission Reservation • NEET • Ordinance • Ordinance promulgation • SEBC
The World Metrology Day is observed every year on 20 May, which commemorates anniversary of signing of Metre Convention in 1875.
About World Metrology Day
- Background: The day commemorates anniversary of signing of the international treaty called Metre Convention in Paris on 20 May 1875, by which International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) was created. The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in field of science and measurement as well as in its commercial, societal and industrial applications.
- Metrology: means ‘the science of measurement’.
- The Metre Convention: also called ‘Treaty of the Metre’ provides the basis for a global coherent measurement system which encourages scientific discovery and innovation, international trade, industrial manufacturing and also improvement of quality of life and protection of global environment.
About World Metrology Day 2019
- The theme for WMD 2019 was “The International System of Units – Fundamentally better.” This theme was chosen because in 16 November 2018, the General Conference on Weights and Measures agreed to one of the most significant revisions to International System of Units (the SI) since its inception.
- The Research into new measurement methods, including those using quantum phenomena, justifies the change made.
- The International System of Units (SI) is now based on a set of definitions each linked to laws of physics and have advantage of being able to accept further improvements in measurement science and technology (S&T) to meet needs of future users for coming years.
Month:Current Affairs - May, 2019 Categories: Events & Observances
Tags: 20 May • Bureau of Weights and Measures • General Conference on Weights and Measures • International System of Units • Metre Convention • SI Units • The Metre Convention • Treaty of the Metre • WMD 2019 • World Metrology Day • World Metrology Day 2019