The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched an online shopping portal for sale of authentic tribal products that will seek to create a ‘niche’ market for indigenous artisans.
About the e-commerce portal
- This online portal is initially open for only Indian shoppers and for international buyers later.
- Features 69 tribal products viz. textiles, metal artifacts and jewellery, etc.
- Launched by Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Raj V Kishore Chandra Deo.
- Objective: To provide branding, source certification and developing standards for products.
- Shawls, stoles and mufflers will be in available in Angora, sheep wool and Pashmina material from states viz. Orissa, Assam, etc.
- Paintings from four states and dokra metal artifacts and jewellery from states viz. Nagaland and Himachal Pradesh will also be available.
- Detailed write- ups of the products will also be available.
- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) is making special efforts to promote the sales of handicrafts.
Future Plans: The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has plans to launch a new website for the minor forest produce viz. honey and tamarind.