The government has begun the process of building 4,000 MW ultra mega green solar power project near Sambhar lake in Rajasthan. The project which has been named as Sambhar Ultra Mega Green Solar Power Project is being set under the Department of Heavy Industry (DHI) in the 23,000 acre area of Sambhar Salts Limited (SSL), subsidiary of Hindustan Salts Limited (HSL) located in Rajasthan. It will be the world’s largest solar based power project
First Phase Sambhar Ultra Mega Green Solar Power Project:
In the first phase the project will generate 1,000 MW which will be commissioned in 3 years i.e. by the end of 2016.
Partners in the development of the first phase are BHEL, Solar Energy Corporation of India, Power Grid Corporation, Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam and Rajasthan Electronics and Instruments Ltd. The development of the later phases will be based on the experience gained during implementation of the first phase of project.
Month:Current Affairs – September, 2013 Categories: Business, Economy & Banking
Tags: Current Affairs 2013 • Infrastructure • Rajasthan
The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and Their Rehabilitation Bill, 2013 has received the assent of the President of India. It has now been published in the Gazette of India on September 19, 2013.
What are the key points in the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill 2012?
According to the Bill:
- The employment of manual scavengers, the manual cleaning of sewers and septic tanks without protective equipment, and the construction of insanitary latrines is prohibited.
- It provides for rehabilitation of manual scavengers and their alternative employment.
- Each local authority, cantonment board and railway authority is responsible for surveying insanitary latrines within its jurisdiction. They shall also construct a number of sanitary community latrines.
- Each occupier of insanitary latrines shall be responsible for converting or demolishing the latrine at his own cost. If he fails to do so, the local authority shall convert the latrine and recover the cost from him.
- The implementing authorities shall be District Magistrate and the local authority.
- Offences under the Bill shall be cognizable and non-bailable, and may be tried summarily.
Month:Current Affairs – September, 2013 Categories: Constitution & Law
Tags: Bills and Amendments • Current Affairs - 2017 • Current Affairs 2013 • Socio-Economic