The Union government has approved the proposal for the Guwahati metro rail proposal. The Centre has sanctioned Rs. 25 crore for performing feasibility studies for the proposed project. The project, to be carried out in three phases and covering a total distance of 65 km, is estimated to cost Rs.14,000 crore.
Legendary Bollywood actor and Dadasaheb Phalake Award winner Pran Krishan Sikand (83), popularly known as Pran, passed away.
About Pran Krishan Sikand:
Born: February 12, 1920 in Ballimaran, Kotgarh Old Delhi, into a wealthy Punjabi family. He won his first role in Dalsukh M. Pancholi’s Punjabi film Yamla Jat (1940).
- Did hits such as as Half Ticket , Ram aur Shyam , Zanjeer ,Johny Mera Naam and Karz.
- Played roles in more than 350 films from 1942 – 2007 and was popular as a movie villain and character actor in Hindi cinema.
- Won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award in 1967, 1969 and 1972.
- Honored with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997.
- Awarded as the ‘Villain of the Millennium’ by Stardust in 2000.
- The Government of India conferred on him the Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2013 for his contributions towards Indian cinema.