Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to induct country’s largest indigenously-built combat vessel INS Kolkata in Mumbai in August 2014.
Key points about INS Kolkata:
- Largest indigenously-built warship
- Constructed by the Mazagon Dockyards Limited and designed by Navy’s design bureau.
- The 6,800 tonne warship is a technology demonstrator and will mark India’s giant leap in shipbuilding technology.
- To be a part of the Kolkata Class destroyers of the Indian Navy which will include follow-on ships by the name of INS Kochi and INS Chennai respectively.
- It also test-fired a BrahMos missile off Karwar’s coast earlier in August 2014 as part of pre-induction weapon trials at sea.