The Union Government of India extended the implementation of National Food Security Act (NFSA) 2013 to the States of Karnataka and Chhattisgarh. Now, the act has taken off in seven states and union territories – Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Punjab, Karnataka and Chhattisgarh. Uttrakhand and Chandigarh are also expected to join this group soon.
- The Government of India has also decided to protect existing allocation of each state in case the allocation under the proposed legislation is lower than its current allocation. It will be protected up to the level of average off take during last three years, at prices to be determined by the Central Government.
National Food Security Act (NFSA) 2013
- Grains like wheat, rice and coarse grain will be distributed at the price of 3 Rs. 3, Rs. 2 and Rs. 1.
- Identified beneficiary will get 5 kg of grains.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers and children are entitled to get meals under the prescribed nutrition by MDM and (ICDS. The age group would be 6 months to 14 years.
- NFSA 2013 will provide high nutrition food to the age group of 6 years.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers will be entitled to get maternity benefit of not less than Rs. 6,000.
- Working to empowering for women
If an identified beneficiary is poor of the poorest than he will entitle to get 35 kg of grains under Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY).