Petroleum Ministry sets up National Data Repository
Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) has set up state of-the-art National Data Repository which is database of all geo-scientific data of hydrocarbon resources in the country. It is equipped with cutting-edge technology and will provide ready access to interested companies. With this, India has joined league of countries like UK and Norway which have National Data Repository for the upstream sector.
National Data Repository (NDR)
It is integrated data repository of Exploration and Production (E&P) data of Indian sedimentary basins. Its main objective is to provide reliable exploration and production data for India with provisions for seamless access and online data management.
It is hosted at Noida based Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH), the technical arm of MoPNG. It offers unique platform to all E&P Operators, E&P Investors, E&P Service Companies and Academia to delve inside diverse E&P datasets of Indian sedimentary basins.
Key goals of NDR
- Validate, store, maintain and reproduce high quality and reliable geoscientific data.
- Facilitate efficient data reporting, data exchange and data trading among existing players including all geoscientific agencies.
- Improve DGH’s ability to monitor and control the exploration and production activities and reporting.
- Encourage new exploration and production activities by providing high quality and reliable data.
- Strengthen overall geoscientific activities in India.
- Support an open acreage system for an improved global exploration and production business environment in India.
- Provide quality E & P data for processing, interpretation and visualization centres at DGH.
Benefits of NDR
- It will primarily safeguard national exploration and production data asset.
- It will help and promote exploration and production activities in India.
- It will store and maintain hydrocarbon exploration and production data in safe and reusable manner, in perpetuity.
- The data under will be preserved in accordance with generally accepted NDR standards and made available to entitled users.
- It will enhance prospects of petroleum exploration and facilitate bidding rounds by improving availability of quality data.
Categories: Government Schemes in India