PM inaugurates Nagpur Metro
With the inauguration of Nagpur Metro, Nagpur has become the second city of the state of Maharashtra after Mumbai to get a Metro Rail.
- PM inaugurated a 13.5-kilometre stretch comprising five stations from Khapri to Sitabuldi.
- The Nagpur Metro consists of two corridors with a total length of 38 kilometres.
- The two corridors will comprise of 38 stations, two depots and a fleet of 69 metro cars.
- To emphasise on Women Safety and empowerment each train will comprise of a special “Nari Shakti” women’s coach.
- Nagpur Metro is also hailed as the green Metro since 65% of its electricity consumption from solar energy.
- Nagpur Metro has earned ₹51 crore from stamp duty and ₹6.87 crore from Transfer of Development rights even before the start of passenger operations.
The population of the city of Nagpur is projected to double by 2050. Hence it was imperative to equip the city with 21st-century infrastructure, and the Metro Rail is one step in that direction.