PM launches National Programme for LED-based Home and Street Lighting for energy conservation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched National Programme for LED-based Home and Street Lighting in New Delhi for energy conservation by reducing energy consumption.
Along with this programme, PM launched scheme for Light Emitting Diode (LED) bulb distribution under the Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP) and a web-based system to enable consumers in Delhi to register requests for procuring LED bulbs under DELP.
National Programme for LED-based Home and Street Lighting
- It aims to install LED bulbs for domestic and street-lighting in 100 cities across India by March 2016.
- Under this programme, LED bulbs will be distributed in a phased manner from March 2015 onwards.
- The initiative is part of the Government’s efforts to spread the message of energy efficiency in the country.
- LED bulbs have a very long life, almost 50 times more than ordinary bulbs, and 8-10 times that of CFLs, and therefore provide both energy and cost savings in the medium term.
- It will help in saving of energy around 24 crore units every year.